Before we dive deep into our main topic Symfony Vs Laravel, it is important for us to have a brief introduction about both of them. Laravel is a PHP framework intended for web application development and it is used as a back-end development framework. On the other hand, Symfony is also a PHP framework that is used for web application development and it is used as a back-end development framework. Laravel is built on top of the Symfony framework.
Also, I’ll try to explain everything that is necessary for the reader to understand this article completely. I want you to follow along till the end of this article carefully in order to get to know about it in detail.
1. Understanding Symfony Vs Laravel
1.1 What is Symfony?
Symfony is an open-source PHP framework released under the MIT license. It is created by Fabien Potencier and it was released on 22nd October 2005. It is actually a set of reusable PHP components and libraries and it is used for building Web Applications, APIs, Microservices, and Web services. Symfony is a back-end development framework and it follows MVC(Model View Controller) pattern.
1.2 What is Laravel?
Laravel is an open-source PHP framework released under the MIT license. It is created by Taylor Otwell and was released in June 2011. Laravel is built on top of the Symfony framework and it is intended for Web Application Development. It is a back-end development framework and it follows MVC(Model View Controller) pattern.
2. What is the difference between them / Symfony Vs Laravel?
Symfony Vs Laravel
- It is an open-source PHP framework created by Fabien Potencier and it is used for complex enterprise-level Web Application development that is highly scalable and maintainable.
- It is a back-end development framework released under the MIT license.
- Symfony is better and easy in terms of the scalability of complex enterprise-level web applications.
- Symfony uses a Twig template engine that doesn’t allow the developers to inject PHP code into directly into the templates.
- Data migrations in the Symfony framework are automatic.
- In order to interact with databases, Symfony uses a third-party project called Doctrine.
- In terms of REST API, the Symfony framework is not that simple and easy.
- Symfony is not that easy to learn and its syntax is as simple as in the case of Laravel.
- Symfony is a feature-complete back-end development framework used for developing complex enterprise applications.
- Development time is more in the case of Symfony and it requires more cache as compared to Laravel.
- It is also an open-source framework created by Taylor Otwell and it is used for rapid web application development, it is beginner-friendly as well.
- It is a back-end development framework released under the MIT license. Laravel is built on top of Symfony.
- Laravel is not as good in terms of scalability as Symfony is.
- Laravel uses the Blade template engine that allows the developers to inject PHP code directly into the templates.
- Unlike the Symfony framework, Data migrations in Laravel are manual.
- In order to interact with databases, Laravel uses Eloquent. Eloquent is much friendlier for PHP developers and easy to learn.
- In terms of REST API, the Laravel framework is way simpler than Symfony.
- Laravel is itself easy to learn and it has a very simple syntax as compared to Symfony.
- Laravel is also a back-end development framework that is known for rapid web application development.
- Development time using Laravel is much less because one has to write less code and it doesn’t require as much cache as Symfony does.
3. Which is the right choice for you / Symfony Vs Laravel?
Laravel is a framework that is best suited for beginners because it is easy to learn and it has a simple syntax. It is the best option for rapid web application development. On the other hand, Symfony is basically used for complex enterprise-level web application development and for their better scalability.
It doesn’t mean at all that you can’t build complex applications using Laravel but Symfony is the best option for this job. Also, Both the frameworks are greatly loved and used by people around the world so one can choose any one of them based on their requirements.
This article takes the readers from the very basic concepts like what is Laravel and Symfony to a comprehensive and detailed comparison between both of them. Now that you have read the article carefully, it is now an easy job for you to make the right choice out of these two.
The purpose of discussing all the related concepts is to provide you with a proper understanding of the Laravel and Symfony frameworks.
Also, let me know in the comment section what do you think about it and what is your preferred choice?