Before we dive deep into our main topic Ruby Vs Python, it is important to have a brief introduction to both these languages first. Rube was released on 35 December 1996 and is developed by Yukihiro “Matz” Matsumoto in Japan. 2020 stack overflow survey tells that ruby is the 14th most popular language in the world. It is still very popular and is greatly used by developers in 2022.
On the other hand, Java is a programming language that first appeared in 1995 and it is now about 26 years old. Java has been the pioneer language in development because of its speed and efficiency since its arrival.
Also, I’ll explain everything that is necessary for the readers to understand this article completely. I want you to follow along till the end of this article carefully.
1. Understanding Ruby Vs Python
1.1 What is Ruby?
Ruby is a compiled and interpreted general-purpose programming language. A general-purpose language can be used for almost all the purposes and so can be the Ruby programming language but its best use is building web applications, desktop applications, etc.
It supports multiple paradigms and Ruby is intended for programming simplicity. Ruby’s syntax is very easy and simple to read thus it is a very easy to learn programming language. Also, it is purely an object-oriented programming language.
1.2 What is Python?
Python is a compiled and interpreted general-purpose language. A general-purpose language can be used for almost all of the purposes and so can be the Python programming language but its best use is data science and machine learning.
Its syntax is much easy to understand and remember than the other programming languages as it facilitates the developer with easily readable code and makes Python a beginner-friendly language in terms of learning it. Also, it is an object-oriented programming language.
2. What is the difference between them / Ruby Vs Python?
Ruby Vs Python
- Ruby is created by Yukihiro “Matz” Matsumoto and it was first released in 1996. It is an open-source programming language.
- Ruby is an interpreted and compiled programming language. Its code is converted to some other code which is then executed by the virtual machine.
- Ruby is a dynamically typed programming language.
- 2020 stack overflow survey tells that ruby is the 14 most popular language in the world. It is still very popular and is greatly used by developers in 2022.
- Ruby developers don’t have to write much code because of its concise and less strict syntax.
- Ruby is a fast and efficient programming language.
- Best ruby back-end frameworks include Ruby on Rails, Sinatra, Roda, camping, etc
- Top companies that are using Ruby include Airbnb, GitHub, Shopify, Twitter, etc.
- Ruby syntax is very simple and easier which makes it an easy-to-learn language.
- The best uses of Ruby today is building web applications, desktop applications, static websites, and data processing services.
- Python was created by Guido Van Rossum in 1991 and it is an open-source programming language.
- Python is also interpreted and compiled language. Python code is converted into bytecode which runs on the Python virtual machine.
- Python is also a dynamically typed programming language.
- Python is the second most popular programming language in the world today because of its greater usability in the modern world.
- Python developers also have to write much less code and its syntax is also not strict.
- Python is faster and more efficient than Ruby programming language.
- The best python back-end frameworks are Django and Flask.
- Top companies that are using Python programming language include Quora, Dropbox, Facebook, Google, etc.
- Python syntax is even more simple and easier than Ruby which makes it easier to learn the language.
- The best use of python today is web application development, machine learning, deep learning, artificial intelligence, and anything else that comes under the domain of data science.
3. Which is the right choice for you / Ruby Vs Python?
Both Ruby and Python are great languages. One can choose any one of these languages based on their project requirements. One can use Ruby for Web application development, desktop application development, static websites, static processing services
On the other hand, if your project involves machine learning, artificial intelligence, or anything else that comes in the domain of data science then python is the best language for this job. It is best suited for any project that involves statistical analysis and scientific functionalities. One can also build great web applications using Python.
Ruby and Python are both great languages and one cannot say that one of them can replace the other. But each of them is good for different reasons. So, instead of thinking about which is best among these, one should think that which of them is the best choice for our project based on the requirements of our project.
Whether Ruby fulfills your project requirements or Python, the one that is best suited for your project is the right choice for you. Also, I’ve discussed all the relative concepts in this article in order to provide you with a proper understanding of both these languages.
My personal recommendation based on the modern world scenario is that one should go for Python because of its utility, popularity, and simplicity. Ruby is also popular but many of the tasks could be done in Python much better way. Still, if Ruby best suits your project requirements then you should definitely for it.
Let me know in the comment section what do you think about it and what is your preferred choice out of these?