Before we go in-depth on our main topic PHP Vs Python, it is important for us to have a brief introduction to both these languages first. PHP was created by a Danish Canadian programmer Rasmus Lerdorf in 1994 and it was actually built for web development. It is still used in web development even today as it is also one of the most popular programming languages for web development.
On the other hand, Python is a language that first appeared in February 1991 and it is about 30 years old now. Python is the most popular language in the world even today for Data Science, Machine Learning, Deep Learning, and Neural Networks, or you can call it the best language for Artificial Intelligence.
Also, I’ll explain everything that is necessary for the readers to understand this article completely. I want you to follow along till the end of this article carefully in order to get to know about it in detail.
1. Understanding PHP Vs Python
1.1 What is PHP?
Mainly it is used for creating, writing, opening, reading, deleting, and closing files on the server as well as adding, modifying, and deleting data in your database. It can also be used for encrypting the data and controlling user access.
1.2 What is Python
Python is an interpreted, compiled, and high-level general-purpose language. A general-purpose language can be used for almost all the purposes and so can be the Python programming language but its best use is data science and machine learning.
Its syntax is much easy to understand and remember than the other programming languages as it facilitates the developer with easily readable code and makes Python a beginner-friendly language in terms of learning it.
2. What’s the difference between them / PHP Vs Python?
PHP Vs Python
- PHP is a high-level scripting language and in its latest updates, it also supported Object-Oriented Programming from PHP5 onwards especially and it is not a strictly typed programming language but a dynamically typed programming language. It is also an interpreted programming language.
- It is mainly used for creating dynamic websites and web applications.
- PHP has relatively fewer frameworks as compared to Python.
- PHP doesn’t have a strict syntax and variety of naming conventions like Python.
- It is also a platform-independent programming language because it is an interpreted language and a program once compiled is capable of running on any platform.
- It is a scripting language which makes it better for server-side programming than Python.
- PHP is specialized for web development, especially it can perform best at server-side programming as compared to Python.
- It is better for database connectivity and for conducting different interactions with it as compared to Python.
- PHP also has some frameworks which are best for server-side programming, especially Laravel which is one of the most popular back-end frameworks in the world. There are others like Slim, Fat-free framework, etc.
- It is used for creating dynamic websites, interacting with a web server, and interacting with any back-end or database server. Also, It can encrypt data and is best suited for web development.
- Python is also a high-level, interpreted, and object-oriented programming language, and applications can be built much quicker using Python as compared to most of the other programming languages. Also, it is a dynamically typed programming language.
- The best use of Python is Artificial Intelligence.
- Python has relatively more frameworks as compared to PHP.
- Python code is easy and short which makes this programming language much easier to understand, learn, and beginner friendly.
- Python is an interpreted language just like Java which makes it a platform-independent programming language. It means that you just have to compile your program once and you can take it to any platform.
- Python code is easy to write and debug which makes it much more maintainable as compared to PHP.
- Python is not as good for server-side programming as PHP is.
- Python is a General Purpose Language which means that it can be used for multiple purposes.
- It has a lot of frameworks, but the most famous ones are Django which is one of the most famous back-end frameworks available today, Flask, and Jam.py.
- Python is used for Machine Learning, Data Science projects, Statistical projects, Deep Learning, and Neural Networks, which are almost all somehow the fields of Artificial Intelligence. It is also extensively used at the back-end using Django around the world.
3. Which of them is the right choice for you / PHP Vs Python?
The answer to this question would be quite simple for us now. The right option out of these for you is the one that best suits your project requirements. You should go for Python if your project requirements include Data Science, Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Deep learning, deep neural networks, etc. Also, Python is the most popular language in the world today for this job.
But on the other hand, if you need to learn a programming language for back-end or server-side programming i.e. for server and database connections and for different interactions with them, and artificial intelligence or machine learning is not your main concern then definitely you should go for PHP without any hesitation. Also, remember that PHP is built for web development.
4. Best sources for learning any programming language?
Here, I’m going to share with you the top sources for learning any type of computer programming language and I also use these sources personally for learning any type of IT-related courses.
PHP and Python are both great languages and one cannot say that one of them can replace the other. But each of them is good for different reasons. So, instead of thinking about which is best among these, one should think that which of them is the best choice for our project based on the requirements of our project.
Whether PHP fulfills your project requirements or Python, the one that is best suited for your project is the right choice for you. Also, I’ve discussed all the relative concepts in this article in order to provide you with a proper understanding of both these languages.
Let me know in the comment section what do you think about it and what is your preferred choice out of these?