Before we go in-depth in our main topic PHP Vs Java, it is important for us to have a brief introduction to both these languages first. PHP was created by a Danish Canadian programmer Rasmus Lerdorf in 1994 and it was actually built for web development. It is still used in web development even today as it is also one of the most popular programming languages for web development.
On the other hand, Java is a programming language that first appeared in 1995 and it is now about 26 years old. Java has been the pioneer language in development because of its speed and efficiency since its arrival. Still, it is being used for a lot of purposes in which no other language is even a close match to Java.
Also, I’ll explain everything that is necessary for the readers to understand this article completely. I want you to follow along till the end of this article carefully in order to get to know about it in detail.
1. Understanding PHP Vs Java
1.1 What is PHP?
Mainly it is used for creating, writing, opening, reading, deleting, and closing files on the server as well as adding, modifying, and deleting data in your database. It can also be used for encrypting the data and controlling user access.
1.2 What is Java?
Java was previously owned and first introduced by sun microsystems but later sun microsystems was acquired by oracle corporation which is its current owner. Java is a high-level class-based object-oriented programming language in which every object is dealt with as an object. The best thing about it is that it can be run on any platform no matter if it is windows or mac.
The Java Program code is compiled from a .java file and code is generated in the form of a .class file which is known as bytecode. This bytecode is capable of running on any platform no matter if it’s windows or mac simply with the help of an interpreter called JVM(Java Virtual Machine). It interprets the bytecode into machine code which is readable and executed by the machine.
2. What are the main differences between PHP and Java programming languages?
PHP Vs Java
- PHP is a high-level scripting language and in its latest updates, it also supported Object-Oriented Programming from PHP5 onwards especially and it is not a strictly typed programming language but a dynamically typed programming language. It is also an interpreted programming language.
- Coding in PHP is less optimized as compared to Java. But it takes less time to code in PHP because the code is less lengthy in java.
- PHP is a stable programming language at every stage.
- In PHP, documentation is less sophisticated as compared to Java.
- PHP is also a popular language for web development but not as popular as Java is.
- It has less community support as compared to Java also, and not as many workers are working with PHP as with Java.
- In practice, PHP is faster than Java on the Web especially, because it is made for web development. But when it comes to large-scale or big apps in back-end development Java is the best.
- It is used for creating dynamic websites, interacting with a web server, and interacting with any back-end or database server. It can encrypt data and PHP is best suited for web development.
- PHP is only used for server-side programming because it is a server-side programming language.
- It is known as a page design tool and it is a preferred language for web development. Also, the most famous CMS(Content Management Systems) like WordPress and Drupal use PHP.
- Java is also a high-level interpreted and object-oriented programming language and it is a statically typed programming language.
- Coding in Java is better optimized but the code is usually longer and it can cost more time coding in it.
- Java is a stable programming language when the project rolls.
- In Java, documentation is much more sophisticated as compared to the PHP programming language.
- In terms of popularity, Java has remained the world’s most popular programming language until 2019, and still, it is one of the most popular languages in the world.
- There are more professionals even today that are working with Java and obviously, it has more community support than PHP.
- Java is faster than PHP, but in terms of web, development PHP is a letter faster because it is made for web development. But when it comes to large-scale or big apps in back-end development Java is the best.
- It is used for Mobile application development, desktop application development, web-based application development, game development, dealing with big data, cloud-based application development, IoT application, and Enterprise application development.
- It is used for both server-side and desktop programming.
- Today, it is best known for Large scale enterprise-level application development in which business logic is deployed.
3. Which of them is the right choice for you / PHP Vs Java?
They are both great languages even today and they still serve some of their best uses very well. Java is the most preferred programming language for creating large Enterprise-level applications and it has huge community support. On the other hand, PHP is best suited for web development and it is even preferred by a lot of developers from around the world for interacting with the server and the database.
You can easily choose any of these languages that best suit your project requirements based on the above-detailed comparison.
4. Best sources for learning any programming language
Here, I’m going to share with you the top sources for learning any type of computer programming languages and I also use these sources personally for learning any type of IT related courses.
PHP and Java are both great languages and one cannot say that one of them can replace the other. But each of them is good for different reasons. So, instead of thinking about which is best among these, one should think that which of them is the best choice for our project based on the requirements of our project.
Whether PHP fulfills your project requirements or Java, the one that is best suited for your project is the right choice for you. Also, I’ve discussed all the relative concepts in this article in order to provide you with a proper understanding of both these languages.
Let me know in the comment section what do you think about it and what is your preferred choice out of these?