Before we go in-depth on our main topic Flutter Vs Xamarin, let’s have a brief introduction to both of these mobile app development frameworks.
Flutter is an open-source cross-platform mobile app development framework. The Flutter framework along with its dart programming language was built in 2011. On the other hand, Xamarin is a closed-source development tool that is based on the cross-platform approach of mobile app development and it is a Microsoft-owned company.
Both the frameworks are designed to make beautiful and efficient cross-platform apps and both are different from each other on various points. Here, I’m going to explain to you the main differences between them so that you can easily choose which one of them is the right choice for you.
I want you to follow along till the end of this article carefully in order to get to know about it in detail.
1. Understanding Flutter and Xamarin framework
1.1 What is Flutter?
Flutter along with its language Dart were both built-in 2011 by Google. Dart is a very powerful language and it is also easy to learn if you have previously learned Java or any other OOP-based language. Flutter has the specialty of developing apps that are almost equally efficient as the native ones.
Also, you don’t have to design the apps separately for each platform because it works exactly the same on all the platforms. It is worth mentioning here that there is no other cross-platform framework that is as much efficient as Flutter is. One can build apps by using flutter for Android, IOS, Mac OS, and Windows OS.
1.2 What is Xamarin?
Xamarin is a Microsoft-owned software company based in San Francisco. .NET is a platform made up of tools, programming languages, and libraries for development purposes. Xamarin extends the .NET platform for the development of applications for Android, IOS, Mac OS, and Windows. Xamarin uses the C# programming language for the purpose of writing apps.
It is also based on the cross-platform approach of mobile app development. It means that one can build apps for almost all the platforms with a single code base.
2. What is the difference between Flutter and Xamarin frameworks?
Flutter Vs Xamarin
- It is based on a cross-platform mobile app development approach.
- It is open-source and owned by Google.
- It uses Google’s dart programming language for developing flutter apps.
- Flutter is much better in performance as compared to Xamarin and its apps are nearly native.
- In terms of popularity, Flutter is more popular and has more community support as compared to Xamarin.
- Flutter apps give a more native-like experience, in terms of design and performance.
- Flutter is an open-source framework and also it is totally free which gives it an edge over Xamarin.
- Flutter uses Just In Time compilation as well as Ahead Of Time compilation which makes it best for android and IOS apps that are nearly native.
- Examples of some of the top apps built using flutter are Google Ads, Klaster Me, Xianyu by Ali Baba, and Postmuse(an Instagram photo-editing app).
- It is supported by Android Studio, VScode, and IntelliJ IDEA.
- It is also based on a cross-platform mobile app development approach.
- It is closed source and owned by Microsoft.
- It uses the C# programming language that is developed by Microsoft.
- Xamarin is also good in performance but not as good as flutter is.
- In terms of popularity, Xamarin is not as popular nor does it have as much community support as Flutter has.
- Xamarin apps don’t give as much native-like experience as the flutter framework provides.
- Xamarin is a closed source framework and it is not totally free as some of its features come with a paid version.
- Xamarin uses Just In Time compilation as well as Ahead Of Time compilation which makes it best for android and IOS apps that are nearly native.
- Examples of some of the top apps that are built using Xamarin are Oro, MRW, CA Mobile, The World Bank, etc.
- It is supported by VScode and Xcode.
3. Which is the right choice for you / Flutter Vs Xamarin?
- In my opinion, both these frameworks are good for cross-platform mobile application development. But the main that should be addressed here is which of them is the best framework?
- So, from the above difference, you can easily understand that Flutter isn’t just the best option out of these two but it is also the best option among all of the app development frameworks available today.
- If you are a complete beginner and you need to learn app development from scratch then you should definitely go for Flutter only as it is the best option available.
- But if you already have some experience in C# and you don’t want to learn another framework from scratch only then you should go for Xamarin.
Both Flutter and Xamarin are popular frameworks for cross-platform mobile app development and many people are using them. But after getting a proper understanding of these two frameworks from this article along with a detailed comparison, the readers can easily choose which is the best option out of these two frameworks.
Also, let me know in the comment section what do you think about it and what would be your preferred choice?